Monday, October 5, 2009

Untitled...not enough coffee or energy to come up with one.

5:18 a.m...I hear the doorknob turn and the pitter patter of little feet..."Mama, ven," which literally means, "Mama, come," but in my head I translate it to mean, "Get out of bed right now. I don't care that it's still dark and I have a fever and a cold. I am ready to hit the day and you better be too."

Where's the coffee? Oh, yeah I need to make it right after I get the little one settled into a Thomas video (that I sadly know by heart). *side note: I actually put the movie on in Spanish the other day so we I didn't have to hear it in English ONE MORE TIME. OJ in hand, DVD in, sick child on sofa and the sun won't even be up for at least an hour. Oh joy.

Somehow my sick child becomes more energized when he is under the weather. How exactly does this happen? I used to wonder why the children's channels played cartoons in the middle of the night, but now I know it's really for the adults with sick children who are awoken in the middle of the night and don't have the energy to do anything else but doze on the sofa while their child is happily awake with no idea what "the middle of the night" is. Seriously, when he is sick and he comes into my room at 3 a.m. it's not because he is crying or hurting, it's because he woke up with all of his energy ready for a new day that won't officially get started for a few more hours.

I guess I can be happy that my child is a somewhat easy sick kid. He doesn't really whine and pretty much acts normal. But, why does he have more energy when I need him to be the most laid back so I can get a break from either fighting off what he has or recovering from my own lack of sleep thanks to 4 hour apart tylenol doses and 3 a.m. wake-up calls.

This morning, well before the sun was up (he actually pointed out the window at the moon), he watched about 5 minutes of the video, ran to his room to play with his train, ran back to the dining room to play with his trains at the table, rode his big wheel around the house, laid in bed with me for exactly two minutes and is now running back and forth from his room to the living room.

It's going to be a long day.

5 comments:

Jess said...

I can totally relate to this. We got our kids an alarm clock so that they will know what time they are allowed to leave their room - not what time to get up (they were always up around 5 or a little later!). Hang in there! ;o)

MYHowderFamily said...

I'm running on my second week of sick kids and early morning or middle of the night mommy calls! So excited you have blog.

kristi said...

ugh. feeling your pain. i am also laughing at prisca's comment, because we have tried alarm clocks, notes at their door with an outline for "getting up" procedures...aedan still can't help but bust out of the bedroom the minute he wakes up. i wonder if it's a boy thing. it's the reason i'm keeping rhys in a crib till he's 10. haha

courtney said...

you're not alone! hopefully by now he's doing better and you have found some sleep. amelia has had a cold as well-only she can't get out of bed so she just SCREAMS all hours of the night from her crib with her congested nose somewhat muffling the sound! oh the joys of every stage of life:)think of you every day when we stroll by your old house:) love you!

Melissa said...

hey mama h. hope little e is feeling better.

love you.