Monday, January 19, 2009

Waiting for tomorrow.

I just really feel compelled to write a short post about my feelings about the presidential change of command tomorrow. I am one of those that is excited about our new president. I was cautiously inspired when I first heard about him. And, the more I heard him the more I recognized there was something different about him. He earned my support and my vote for reasons I could write about in another post. I am hopeful about the future of our country, even though we are in such a mess right now with the economy. Some may choose to be pessimistic or cautious, but I am going to be hopeful that every day can be a little better than the days we have seen this past year.

So, here I am outside of my home country watching everything with a slightly different viewpoint than I have had before. For one, I am wishing I could be "home" to commemorate the historical day tomorrow. And, I am realizing how great America is. For all it's faults, it is a really great place. People do want to do good and watch out for each other. People can vote their conscience and their voice is heard. People are given so many opportunities to make their lives better. I am proud to have an American passport and proud that my child is an American citizen.

As I was watching some of the MLK day coverage with Eric in my lap I was filled with such hope that the country we are from will offer him countless opportunities to do good with his life. He can do anything he puts his mind to, and succeed at anything God calls him to.

But, all of this isn't given to us as a free handout. We have to make it happen. For example, the scholarships might be there for Eric to go to a great University without having to pay a dime, but he has to earn the good grades and apply for the scholarship. But, you know what? The opportunities are there.

I guess this is the first time it has really hit me hard that we have opportunties in the U.S. available for all aspects of life that other countries don't have access to. I am living a good life in a country that has no welfare system, poor health care to the general public, lacking public schools, and a lot of other less than desirable circumstances. But, even with all of the small challenges we have had, which are nothing compared to the challenges of the average person, we are living well. I don't plan on taking what we have available to us in the U.S. for granted again.

And, although Obama is much more than the "first black president" in my mind. I must say it is worth all of the celebration to see Martin Luther King Jr's dream realized. It reminds me that no matter what you look like or where you family is from, with a big dream and a lot of hard work, you can make anything happen. Call me a romantic (which I am), but I am pretty hopeful that my Dominican-American son can do anything he puts his mind and energy to.

No comments: