Thursday, July 9, 2009

We have hit the "terrible" two's.

Isn't there something else we can call it? We've hit the ______ instead of the "terrible two's"? I'm looking for a spin that helps me to be more positive about this developmental milestone. Maybe "We've hit the I-want-it-my-way period"...well, that's not really any more positive. I guess I need to remember that it's that stage of feeling out how independent he can be and how much control he can garner in each situation. If anyone has a more creative way to look at, please leave me a comment...for my sanity!

SO, today Little E walks out of the bathroom showing me a dripping wet washcloth that he is proceeding to wipe up and down his fully clothed body while saying "agua, agua," as in "look mama, water!" Not too bad, no big trouble, no big mess to clean-up, just something he has never done before. Twenty minutes later he starts pulling my arm saying, "mama, mama" and he's all wet again. I go to the bathroom to discover there is a puddle of water all over the floor and my sneakers are in there, all wet. In fact one of them is 1/2 full of water. It didn't appear that the sink had been on, so I am guessing he filled my shoe with toilet water. And, he can't actually tell me where he got it, because his language skills still keep me guessing.

Twenty minutes later and I am trying to answer an e-mail and he wants to sit on my lap. I very calmly hand him his four Thomas trains and tell him he can play next to me. He immediately puts on the water works, throws not only the toys on the ground but his whole self, too. I keep my focus on the computer trying not to give him the attention he wants, and for the next few minutes he picks himself up, walks a couple of steps, starts crying and throws himself on the ground, picks himself up, walks a couple of steps, starts crying and throws himself down trying so hard to get a rise out of me. I stay calm, finish my e-mail, pretend nothing happened and coax him out of the room. Immediately he stops crying, starts laughing and it's like nothing just happened. One minute the world is ending and the next minute he's watching Elmo with a smile on his face. Go figure.

Seriously, this all started happening just today...where do we go from here?

Just for fun, take a look at this yummy bread I just made that I posted on my other blog. I had my friend, Kirsten over for coffee with her friend, Mitch who is visiting with a mission team from my college friend, Angela's church. Can you keep that straight? And, along with another bestie from college, Angela and Julie sent me a care package!!! Favorite magazines (and in English!), spices, lots of CD's, a children's Bible, notes with love, AND a Trader Joe's reusable bag!!! I'm a lucky girl!

4 comments:

kristi said...

ok, not that i can pretend for EVEN ONE SECOND that i think positively about my own almost-2-year-old's "terrible" state, but a more positive way to couch it is the "independent 2s," because that's really what's happening.

tonight, we went to a city-run mommy & me gymnastics class, which was AWESOME by the way, and after about 3 runs on this jumpy ramp thing he started trying to push me away in the air and saying "mo, mommy," over and over ("mo" translates to "no"). ridiculous. and cool at the same time. but mostly tiring, and frustrating, and confusing, and mind-blowing, and did i mention exhausting?

let's hold virtual hands through this, okay?

xo

Christina Lane | The Sometimes Crafter said...

I keep telling everyone my son is in his terrible twos now - I don't think anyone believes me, but that is EXACTLY what he does, and he's 13 months. I mean, exactly! Well, except the toilet water thing, I keep the bathroom door shut and he can't open the doors yet. He does the computer thing with me everyday, sometimes I let him on my lap and he wants the tv remotes or mouse and I tell him no and he throws a fit. Yesterday we were at a quilt shop and he threw a fit the whole time because I woudln't give him a stuffed bear from a shelf. Everytime he saw one, it was a new fit. At the stores, he throws himself on the floor and has a fit. I just calmly tell him (that that he understands) acting like that will get him nothing. This kid is DEFINATLY going to be in sports, I can just see the energy oozing out of him now. Good luck with your little guy - I hear it eventually gets better. :)

Kellie said...

This is our house "2" lately! I have resorted to taking away the Thomas trains - the ultimate punishment. He also likes reading the No David book because he gets to say, "No David No"

Steph said...

I think I can remember the 2's. But they are kinda blurred in a haze of dirt, rocks, sticks and snot. Actually, besides the dirt, rocks, sticks and snot the 2's were not so bad, I think the boys saved it up for the 3's. Still a little bent that Nicholas has yet to go through the terrible 2's or 3's however it does tickle me that Kasey is making up for it!