Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Learning Spanish.

I want to report that my Spanish is coming along. I am being told more often than not that people can understand what I am saying, no matter how rough it might sound. In fact, the other day at Eric's school I was able to talk to several of the other moms in Spanish. I have heard it said that the best way to learn another language is by complete immersion. The problem here is that I am only about waist deep in Spanish. You see, we speak English at home. We have always done this and to change that would really have an effect on our communication (although, some days this might actually help our communication!) Also, we are trying to raise a bi-lingual kid and I am his only English connection. Oftentimes I slip in a little Spanish when I am asking him to do something like "mira" which means look or "sube" which means up, as in go up the stairs. He has even started using some Spanish words for things that I haven't taught him. Like the other day I asked him if he wanted water and he replied saying, "agua", so I guess he's really learning to use both languages. I use Spanish everyday when I talk on the phone or talk to my family here or take Eric to school or anytime I am out of the house, but I am using more English than I would like to admit. Just being here in the country has helped me expand my language skills. I mean, if I wasn't even trying I think I would improve just by the immersion factor.

I have found that I am a lot less self-conscious about speaking Spanish. I just pretty much stick my neck out there and most times I start speaking without putting too much thought into it. Every once in awhile I wonder how ridiculous my Spanish must sound. I'm just glad the people I talk to are gracious enough to not laugh outloud, at least in front of me. The other day I was at a birthday party and I was telling someone about the church we have been visiting and I said that I liked the message...or at least that's what I thought I said. What I actually said was that I liked the massage instead of message. The words sound similar and I had been using (several other times before I found out my error) the wrong word. O Dios Mio!

The funniest thing is when someone from Eric's family tells me how to say some kind of Dominican slang idiom and I try to say it. There is usually a lot of laughter and then they want me to demostrate by setting me up to say it with someone else just so we can all laugh about it. I'm used to people laughing about the way I say idioms in English OR Spanish as I can hardly ever get one right in my own language.

I am pretty much able to say anything I want to say. It just might not sound very eloquent or educated, but at least I can get my point across. And, everyday I learn something new. I carry around a little notebook in my purse where I can write down new words I hear, although some phrases are so strange to me that I can remember them without having to jot anything down. For example, the word for ride as in giving someone a ride somewhere is bola which is ball. So, when you are giving someone a ride in your car you are giving them a ball. Funny.

And, my listening comprehension is improving even without me noticing. The other day I realized I could understand most of a conversation I was listening to. Of course, there are times when I just don't have the mental effort to even try to understand and I let my mind wander off to daydreams about nonsensical things like new sandals or my to-do list or whether or not I answered a particular e-mail. But, last week at church I really tried my hardest to stay focused on the message (during which I was NOT getting a massage I am sad to say) and I understood most of it...I think...or as far as I know! So, I think it's really starting to click.

And, I have to add that I really thought the language was going to be one of my primary struggles. It really hasn't been. Of course, there are a lot of times when I have no idea what anyone is saying until my name pops into the conversation, but to be honest I am guilty of that in English too, from time to time. I can only imagine where I am going to be a year down the road.

3 comments:

kristi said...

that is really amazing! i can't imagine being fluent in two languages, although when i was studying french all the time i would sometimes dream in french. weird.

Amy D said...

That's awesome Karin. You'll be totally fluent before you know it. And how cute that it is coming so easily to Eric.

Stacey Wideman said...

YAY! I've been wondering about that and people have been asking me. Good to know you're coming along.